The UNC Charlotte Department of Dance offers scholarships in two categories.
We are very excited about recruiting talented students who would like to pursue a major in Dance at UNC Charlotte, located in one of the most culturally rich cities in the Southeast. Our department offers up to three individual scholarships of $4,000 distributed over four years for incoming freshmen. These awards consider students' financial need and potential to excel in the areas of dance.
The Incoming Freshman Dance Scholarship Application can be downloaded here. Please complete and return to the Department of Dance.
In addition please register for the campus tour through the Admissions website: http://admissions.uncc.edu/visit/schedule-a-tour
Our mission is to contribute innovation and leadership to the field through creative/scholarly research, teaching, service, and community engagement. Through comprehensive, innovative courses we provide our diverse student body with an exemplary liberal arts education grounded in dance as a cultural practice, art form, and interdisciplinary subject. We embrace and celebrate dance as a way of learning about ourselves and the world around us. Committed to access, equity, and inclusion, our program develops artists, educators, scholars, and arts-literate citizens who can thrive in an increasingly complex global environment and make sustained contributions to their communities.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability. In keeping with this commitment, UNC Charlotte actively seeks to promote diversity in its educational environment through its recruitment, enrollment, and hiring practices.
For more information, please contact Delia Neil.
The Department of Dance also offers scholarships to CONTINUING DANCE/DANCE EDUCATION MAJORS who have demonstrated consistent contribution to the Department and have made significant progress in dance and related studies. These are one-time awards. Students may reapply each year.
In order to be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
1. Maintain full-time enrollment at UNC Charlotte
2. Maintain status as a Dance or Dance Education Major for 2015-2016
3. Maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
4. Demonstrate consistent and substantive contributions to the Dance Department.
To apply, students must complete a cover page and provide the following:
1. A letter describing how your participation in specific dance department activities have shaped your interest in furthering your growth in performance, choreography, dance education, and/or dance avocation
2. A current resume
3. An unofficial copy of your current transcript.
All materials must be submitted to the Dance Department administrator, Zachary Tarlton, by 12:00 noon Friday, March 24, 2015.
Recipients of the award will contribute the following to the Department of Dance:
1. BA Dance Majors are required to audition for both Fall and Spring Dance Department student concerts. BA Dance Education Majors are required to audition for Dance Department student concerts during the semester they are not student teaching.
2. All students will usher a minimum of 4 performances per academic year.
3. All students will act as goodwill ambassadors or assistants in all dance related events, such as scholarship auditions, guest artist residencies, student performances, educational dance concerts, faculty concerts, and dance faculty searches, and will organize a student mentoring session for all majors and minors in collaboration with other award recipients.