The School of Architecture accepts applications to the Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) program from students who have completed a B.A. or B.S. in architecture from another NAAB-accredited institution.
Required Entry-Level Competencies:
- A minimum of eight semesters of architectural design studios;
- A minimum of four semesters of architectural history and/or theory courses;
- A minimum of two semesters of computational courses;
- A minimum of four semesters of building technology courses equivalent to the following School of Architecture courses:
- Material and Assembly Principles (ARCH 4301)
- Environmental Systems Principles (ARCH 4302)
- Structural Principles (ARCH 4303)
- Structural Systems (ARCH 4304)
To ensure that external applicants are evaluated appropriately, please complete the Core Competency Evaluation Form. The SoA may request that you furnish the Admissions Committee with relevant course descriptions and syllabi of all architecture courses passed and completed that satisfy entry-level competencies. All core competency requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting the B.Arch program in the fall semester.
UNC Charlotte students completing the Preprofessional Degree are automatically recommended for admission to the Bachelor of Architecture program if they have earned an Architecture/Major GPA of 3.0 or higher by the end of their fall semester of 4th year. UNC Charlotte students who do not meet this requirement may submit a full application for admission.
Application to the School of Architecture
1.) Application to UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions
You must complete your online application and submit all required application materials to UNC Charlotte by January 31, 2016.
2.) Application to the School of Architecture
Please submit the following application package to the School of Architecture by January 31, 2016:
- Statement of Purpose that explains applicant's reasons for wanting to be admitted to the School of Architecture (approx. 500 words)
- Resume that includes educational and professional experience
- Core Competency Evaluation Form. Download Form > Core Competency Evaluation Form
- 8½ x 11 bound portfolio of design/creative work (Portfolios will ONLY BE RETURNED IF YOU PROVIDE an oversized self addressed, return postage envelope according to U.S. Postal Service and/or Express Mail Standards)
- Academic essay or research paper (properly footnoted)
- Three recommendations from persons familiar with the applicant's personal and professional qualifications. Download Form > Applicant Evaluation Form
The completed application package should be sent to the attention of:
Bachelor of Architecture Admissions
School of Architecture, Storrs 105
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
For questions regarding the admissions process, please email SoAfirstname.lastname@example.org.