Applying as a Transfer Student

All studio Art and Graphic Design courses are open to Art (BA or BFA) or Graphic Design (BFA) majors only. The department accepts new students into the Art and Graphic Design majors for Fall semesters only (i.e. students cannot declare an Art or Graphic Design major in Spring semesters).


To become an Art or Graphic Design major, students must:

  1. Be accepted to UNC Charlotte

  2. Must submit an Entrance Portfolio (digital portfolio of work using Entrance Portfolio Guidelines below)

  3. Must be accepted into the Art or Graphic Design major pending a review of the Entrance Portfolio submission (students currently enrolled at UNC Charlotte must also have a cumulative GPA of 2.5)


Entrance Portfolio deadlines for the academic year 2021-2022:


  • Priority Review—March 1, 2021—NOON

  • Space Available Review—April 5, 2021—NOON 

Entrance Portfolio Guidelines
Entrance Portfolio Slide Example
FAQ for Currently Enrolled UNC Charlotte Students



BFA in Art with an Art Education Concentration

Students pursuing the BFA in Art with a concentration in Art Education must begin in the BA in Art program—students cannot initially apply to the BFA in Art with an Art Education Concentration. For instructions on applying to the BA in Art, please see above.  Students should contact Art Education Advisor, Tesh Ramey, (  for complete admissions requirements for the Art Education concentration. 

BA in Art History

New Freshmen and Transfer students should indicate his/her interest in the Art History major on the application to the university. After acceptance to the university, students will be considered Art History majors and will need to register and attend a SOAR date for advising and registration.

Current UNC Charlotte Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 to be accepted into the Art History major. Interested students should make an appointment with the Academic Advisor, Megan Garner, and upon confirmation of student’s cumulative GPA, a change of major form will be completed.

Further questions regarding the admissions processes may be directed to: