Department of Dance students are …
• part of a close-knit dance department that offers individual options to suit individual needs and professional interests. Professional advisors, Hannah Harrell and Tesh Ramey, a faculty mentorship program and community meetings keep students in touch and informed. We celebrate seniors every semester with departmental graduation parties;
• actively involved in the Charlotte community. This includes work in a Dance and Community course, which takes students into area community and senior centers. Dance Education students observe and student teache in area public schools. Dance students have held internships at Charlotte Ballet, for Caroline Calouche and Company, and with Blumenthal Performing Arts;
• able to work on campus in ways that benefit them professionally. Dance students particulate in the Undergraduate Research Scholars program, assist faculty through our University Professional Internship Program, and work as Course Preceptors and Student Communications Consultants;
• participants in field study experiences that take them to New York City to study and perform and to American College Dance Association festivals and other professional gatherings; and
• in touch with artists and art forms from around the world. In addition to required course work in ballet, modern dance, and African diasporan forms (including African Brazilian dance, Vintage Jazz, and hiphop), our students have access to courses in Latin dance forms and Indian classical dance forms. Dance offers study abroad experiences in the UK and in Italy, we often host guest artist residencies, and faculty invite guest artists and scholars into their classrooms.