Applications for Academic Year 2020-2021 are due by February 15, 2021.
All scholarship applicants, including both new and returning students, must apply for the Department of Theatre Scholarships through NinerScholar, UNC Charlotte’s scholarship portal. Any questions about departmental scholarships should be directed to Tom Burch at email@example.com.
Incoming students (both freshman and transfers) are required to have an interview and audition or portfolio review (depending on student’s area of interest). The interviews and audition/portfolio reviews will take place inin the spring at a time and date TBA. Please contact the department scholarship coordinator, Professor Tom Burch (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange an appointment time.
Please note that all awards are for a single academic year. Students are welcome and encouraged to reapply each year, as long as they meet the proper criteria, listed below.
New Student Scholarships (amounts ranging from $500-$2,000)
Students who are new to UNCC, both incoming freshmen and new transfer students, may apply for these scholarships. Applications are due by February 15, 2021 via the NinerScholar Scholarship Portal. These scholarships are merit-based, with some consideration given to need, and include the following requirements:
- Acceptance and enrollment at UNC Charlotte.
- A declared major in Theatre or Theatre Education.
- A high school or transfer GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Completed scholarship application through NinerScholar by February 15, 2021.
- Participate in an audition or a portfolio review (depending on student’s area of interest) and an interview with department faculty. Audition/portfolio review and interviews will take place in the spring at a time and date TBA. Contact Professor Tom Burch (email@example.com) with any questions.
Continuing Student Scholarships (amounts ranging from $500-$2,000)
Current and continuing students may apply or reapply for these scholarships. Application must be made through the NinerScholar Scholarship Portal by March 31, 2019. These scholarships are given on the basis of merit and financial need. Merit is defined as being a good citizen of the program, the college and the University, as well as ability within your area of exploration within the program. In addition, students must:
- Maintain full-time enrollment in the Theatre or Theatre Education major at UNC Charlotte.
- Maintain a minimum overall and departmental GPA of 3.2.
- Participate in a faculty interview to discuss the student's growth over the past year and plans for the upcoming scholarship year.
Ira Yarmolenko Scholarship (amount ranging from $1000-$2,000)
This scholarship is awarded by faculty each year to a current/continuing Theatre major who embodies the spirit of our former student, Ira Yarmolenko – positive, energetic, and always with a need to see the best in the world.
Every scholarship recipient is expected to:
- Maintain full-time enrollment as a Theatre or Theatre Education Major at UNC Charlotte.
- Maintain an overall and departmental GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Have an active presence in the department, especially within a student’s area(s) of interest. This may include performance, design, dramaturgy, directing, and production work.
- Give a number of hours of service to help with department events and activities. (These may include such events as recruiting days, Scholarship Day, prospective student tours, guest artist residencies, etc.)
- Attendance at the yearly Scholarship Dinner (typically the first week of May).
A meeting will be held at the beginning of each scholarship year or term to discuss opportunities of fulfilling this requirement. The scholarship coordinator will work with students to find projects and hours compatible with their schedule. Neglecting this duty may result in the student being ineligible for department scholarships in the future.
All awards are delivered in equal installments for two semesters (Fall and Spring of a single academic year), unless there are extenuating circumstances (such as a student graduating in December).